Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Top 5 Movie Twists

I will, in the next few days, watch and review The Judge.
I recently added a review of Saint Vincent to this blog, and now, I have a Top 5 list to share with you because you’re so wonderful and smell so very, very nice.
I present for this list, the Top 5 best twists in movies.

5)   Frozen:
“Only an act of true love can remove the princess’s curse and save her life.” Dead God, how many times have we heard this one? Of course the princess’s Prince Charming will kiss and, thus, cure her. It’s not as if a female character could save herself. Frozen threw us a curveball here, though, a great one. The princess performed the “act of true love” by risking her own life to protect her sister. I approve.

4) Primal Fear:
I won’t spoil this one. I know too many people who haven’t yet seen it. Fear offers a story in which a lawyer (Richard Gere) defends a young man who murders a priest. The lawyer believes that his client’s alternate personality (created by sexual abuse via the aforementioned priest) committed the murder. However, a nice twist awaits this movie’s audience.

3) The Sixth Sense:
If you don’t already know the twist to this movie, you reside under a rock. Somehow, the same director who brought us The Happening and Airbender managed to make The Sixth Sense. M Night Shyamalan got it right the first time. Not sure what happened to him afterwards.

2) Terminator 2: Judgment Day:
Schwarzenegger’s the good guy? If the previews ever mentioned that, I don’t recall it. I do recall when I saw this movie. I recall that I expected Schwarzenegger to play the same role as before, the killer robot without remorse, on the relentless hunt for his prey. I remember the scene in the back halls of the shopping mall, where young John Conner ran for his life. We, the audience, watched Schwarzenegger march after him, firearm in hand. John's terrified face. The guy disguised as a police officer turns the corner, but he won’t make it in time to save John. The kid's screwed. Then, Schwarzenegger says, “Get down.” John ducks. Schwarzenegger fires, blows a hole (that immediately heals) in the guy dressed as a cop—the real bad guy! An amazing fight scene and car chase follow. The audience sat, its collective mind blown.

1)   The Empire Strikes Back:
“Luke, I am your father.” Nuff said.

I saw this movie in theaters when I stood very young. I remember it well, despite the years (and head injuries) that followed. I never before saw a movie end that way. The bad guys left with Han Solo’s frozen body. Luke lost a hand, and he discovered, as we, the audience did, the impossible. Darth Vader served as Luke’s father? And then the movie just ends? I don’t think I blinked once the entire car ride home.


No comments:

Post a Comment