Saturday, December 27, 2014

Unbroken

It always proves a challenge to critique a true story. The writers for such movies often choose to stay truthful at the cost of “creative liberties” that might work better cinematically. How can I hold such honestly against those writers?
Unbroken covers the horrific, real life horrors that befell an American POW (Louis Zamperini, played by Jack O’Connell), while imprisoned in a Japanese camp.
This movie also concerns itself with the religious faith that delivered Zamperini through the ordeal.
How do I write about which of those horrors worked or didn’t onscreen?
However, I sit before my MacBook today as a critic of stories, not a professor of history. I must set aside these concerns. So I ask you, dear readers, to indulge a stipulation for this movie review:
We must pretend that Unbroken does not serve as a true story, that the actors who suffer in it do not represent real people. Otherwise, I cannot force myself to objectively view this movie’s merits and mistakes. Deal?
Fortunately, few mistakes exist. Let’s get those out of the way first.
This movie’s dialogue, for the first thirty minutes or so, seemed far too “on the nose.” Painfully so, at some points.
Worse, none of that dialogue proved necessary. The first thirty minutes of this movie would’ve worked just fine without a single word spoken. Watch those minutes on mute. See for yourself.
A stricter pace could’ve coaxed a better movie from this story. While this movie didn’t drag its feet (looking at you, Exodus), the movie would’ve moved a lot faster if the writers trimmed a little fat here and there. The fat never bored me, but it caused redundancies.
Every scene of our protagonist adrift on a raft; or in a tiny, prison cell; or in a larger prison cell; or in a coal mine-slash-prison cell effectively commanded an emotional response from its audience.
However, several of those scenes failed to offer anything different from their predecessors. The scenes worked, but they worked the first time. Trim out those redundancies (we’re talking maybe sixty seconds per series of related scenes), and you create a movie that runs smoother and perhaps twenty minutes quicker.
The writers should’ve spread out the flashback scenes, rather than toss them all at the audience at once and so early on.
And (deep breath) here I arrive where I really hate to go with a true story. Again, I choose to examine this movie’s cinematic qualities.
SPOILER ALERT! Skip the entire, next six paragraphs if you wish to avoid this movie’s conclusion, which I shall now share.
1) The American military arrives, at the end of this story, to rescue our hero and his fellow prisoners from their Japanese captors. Our hero does nothing to save himself.
2) I hate this sort of ending. We didn’t want to see the authorities discover that Andy, from The Shawshank Redemption, didn’t kill his wife and afterwards set him free from prison. We wanted Andy to either prove it, himself, or escape.
3) Likewise, I didn’t want to see our hero rescued. Yes, you can argue that the Zamperini saved himself spiritually and mentally, but that only goes so far.
4) I understand that our hero didn’t escape from the prison in real life. I understand (or at least reasonably suspect) that the writers wanted to stay true to the actual story. I respect that, but I can’t deny that this sort of ending leaves me unsatisfied.
5) I know how cold I sound when I express disappointment with Zamerini’s onscreen rescue. I wouldn’t prefer that the military never rescued Zamperini. I’m happy for the real person, but disappointed with the character on the screen.
6) "Martha wants a new car. Someone buys her one." A nice event for real life, but it serves as a poor story.
Now, we move to the good news.
Jack O’Connell performance amazed me.
Takamasa Ishihara seems born for his role of the Japanese soldier who terrorizes Zamerini.
The hair and make up departments ought to expect an Oscar for their part in this picture.
Did Connell actually lose all that weight to appear starved? If so, wow! My hat goes off to him. If the special effect people managed to make him look that skeletal . . . also wow.
The opening scene instantly sucks the audience into the movie.
Angelina Jolie makes countless, clever moves. A lot of consideration went into every shot, the position of every camera.
This movie says a lot about racism, and I feel pleased to report that it reached deeper than the usual, “Racism is ignorant." This movie allows its audience to view racists as victims of their environment.
An early scene shows Olympic athletes from different parts of the world while they treat each other with mutual respect. We also see American children split hairs amongst themselves as to who stands a “real” American and who “needs to go back home.”
Unbroken proves a fascinating, emotional story. It’s worth your time, but the director and writers could’ve made more efficient choices.
I would recommend it under normal circumstances, but in light of how many promising movies hit theaters this Christmas . . . I doubt Unbroken will stand at the top of the heap.

I publish my blogs as follows:
Mondays and Thursdays: Short stories at martinwolt.blogspot.com
Tuesdays: A look at the politics of the entertainment world at EntertainmentMicroscope.blogspot.com.
Wednesdays: An inside look at my novels (such as Daughters of Darkwana, which you can now find on Kindle) at Darkwana.blogspot.com
Fridays: Tips to improve your fiction at FictionFormula.blogspot.com
Sundays: Movie reviews at moviesmartinwolt.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment